DR. THOMAS J. KANE, III, M.D.
Dr. Thomas J. Kane, III, is Hawaii’s most acclaimed orthopedic surgeon. He is recognized internationally as a specialist in both the non-surgical and the surgical treatment of hip and knee conditions.
For some patients, surgery is not the immediate answer. For these patients, Dr. Kane will recommend, and closely monitor, the appropriate conservative treatment program to help eliminate pain and restore quality of life.
Dr. Kane has performed over 9,000 surgeries and has developed innovative and creative solutions to address every hip and knee condition. A significant portion of his surgical time involves correcting complications created by other orthopedic surgeons.
Superior “attention to detail” is the hallmark of Dr. Kane’s practice. He takes the time to make the correct diagnosis, and then he brings his expertise and experience to each patient, with the goal of delivering life-changing results.
- University of Santa Clara: BA, Magna Cum Laude
- University of California, Davis: MD
- Residency: General Surgery University of California and University of Hawaii (4 years); Orthopedic Surgery University of Hawaii (5 years)
- Fellowship: Adult Hip and Knee Reconstruction: University of Southern California
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Founder and Chief Orthopedic Director, Kane Orthopedic Institute
- Private Practice in Hawaii (18 years)
- Assistant Clinical Professor, Orthopedic Surgery, University of Hawaii (16 years)
- Chief, Section Joint Implant Surgery, John A. Burns School of Medicine (16 years)
- Assistant Chief of Orthopedics, The Queen’s Medical Center (6 years)
- Medical Director, The Queen’s Joint Center
- First “Fellowship-trained” adult hip and knee surgeon in State of Hawaii
- Over 9,000 successful hip and knee surgeries performed specializing in both “joint preservation” and “joint reconstruction”
- Over 98% surgical success rate
- “Outstanding Teacher Award:” UH Orthopedic Residency Program
- Pioneered the introduction of arthroscopic surgery of the hip in Hawaii
- First orthopedic surgeon to offer “gender-specific” total knee components
- First orthopedic surgeon to offer “high-flex” total knee components
- Teacher and mentor to many orthopedic surgeons currently practicing in Hawaii
- Serving Mainland, Hawaiian and Asian patients. Asian translator available
- Voted Best Doctor in Hawaii and USA since 1996
- Included in Who’s Who in Healthcare, the West, in America and the World since 1994
AAOS, AAHKS, AMA, HMA, HCMS, HOA (past President), WOA, AOA, Phi Kappa Phi
- Community outreach to Youth at Risk through the FBI Citizens Academy and Federal Law Enforcement Foundation
- Offers KOI-sponsored scholarships to deliver care to those in need
- Volunteer at Shriner’s Hospital for Crippled Children
- Member, Board of Directors of the Honolulu County Medical Society
- Board Member, Queen’s Medical Center Peer Review and Orthopedic Executive Committee
- Volunteer mentor for University of Hawaii medical students
- Member, Operation Walk, an international orthopedic group who travels to foreign underserved countries to deliver care